- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 clove garlic
- 6 waxy boiling potatoes
- 2 tbsp butter
- 180 g smoked streakylardons of bacon
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 4 tbsp vermouth
- 110 ml double cream
- black pepper
- 1/2 reblochon cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Rub a 25cm diameter casserole dish with the clove of garlic and grease with a little butter.
2. Boil the potatoes in salted water until just tender. Drain and leave until cool enough to handle. Peel the potatoes while still warm and cut into slices about 1cm thick.
3. While the potatoes are cooking, heat half the butter in a frying pan and fry the bacon lardons until crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Reserve the bacon fat.
4. Fry the sliced onion in the bacon fat until soft and slightly golden. Remove from the pan and drain in a colander. Press to remove as much fat as possible.
5. Pour off the remaining fat from the pan. Return the bacon and the onions to the pan and toss together.
6. Add the vermouth and reduce until nearly evaporated.
7. Add the potatoes and cook for one minute.
8. Stir in the cream and season with salt and black pepper.
9. Arrange the potato mixture in layers to fill the dish, making sure that the top is fairly flat.
10. Using only one half of Reblochon cheese cut it through the middle so you have two half moon shapes. Place them crust side up on top of the potato mixture and then score the surface of the crust.
11. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 45 minutes. When cooked remove the foil and place under a hot grill until golden and bubbling.
Rate This Recipe