- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 125 g butter, softened
- 280 g vanilla sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 4 tbsp plain flour, sifted
- 400 ml milk
- grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
- clotted cream, to serve
Tips and Suggestions
For the vanilla sugar, you will need sugar that has been stored in a jar with a vanilla pod.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Lightly grease a 2-litre baking dish.
2. Using a standing mixer or electric hand beater, cream the butter with the sugar for 4-5 minutes until pale and fluffy.
3. Beat in the egg yolks, then the flour and milk, a little at a time.
4. Add the grated rind and juice of the lemons.
5. Whisk the egg whites until stiff. Using a metal spoon, fold lightly into the mixture to incorporate air.
6. Pour into the baking dish - the mixture should come about 5cm up the side of the dish.
7. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until slightly brown on top and obviously set, but faintly shuddery.
8. Serve warm with clotted cream.
Rate This Recipe