- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the Smoked Duck
- 250 g demerara sugar
- 10 g star anise
- 50 g Darjeeling tea leaves
- 10 g lemon zest, finely grated
- 2 barbary duck breast
For the Salad
- 1 tbsp walnut oil
- 1 tsp pomegranate molasses
- 1 small lemon, juice only
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 1 pomegranate
- 1 ripe Comice pear, peeled and roughly chopped
- leaves watercress, to garnish
- 45 g pecorino cheese, (Pecorino Romano, if available)
1. b>For the Smoked Duck: line the base of a casserole pan with foil and place a wire rack on top so that it fits inside the pan but is approximately 10-15 cm raised above the foil.
2. In a food processor blend the sugar, star anise, tea and lemon zest to a fine powder and sprinkle all over the base of the prepared casserole dish. Heat it over a high heat until it begins to smoke. Put the duck breasts on the wire rack and smoke with the lid on, for 6-8 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 180C.
4. Heat an oven-proof pan over a high heat. Remove the duck breasts from the smoker and put in the pan skin-side down. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the skin starts to brown. Transfer to the preheated oven and roast 8-10 minutes until pink. Remove from the oven and allow to rest, then slice thinly into strips.
5. For the Salad: put the walnut oil, pomegranate syrup, lemon juice and garlic in a bowl along with the pomegranate seeds and any juice. Add the pear and toss in the dressing.
6. To serve, place a little watercress on a plate, scatter over the dressed pear slices, sliced duck and top with shavings of pecorino.
Rate This Recipe