- Serves: Serves 6
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 14 tea bags
- 6 trout, 280g-350g each, cleaned and gutted with their heads taken off
- 175 g demerara sugar
- 175 g long grain rice
- 8 tbsp olive oil
- black pepper
- 900 g new potatoes
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 200 g rocket
- 2-3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 50 g parmesan, freshly grated
1. Cut the tea bags open, shake out the tea into a bowl and discard the tea bags. Add the sugar and rice and mix together. Coat the trout with 1 tbsp of olive oil.
2. Line a deep, heavy roasting tin with silver foil. Spread the tea mixture over the base. Cover with another layer of foil. Place the roasting tray on the stove top and heat up. Once the mixture is smoking slightly place the trout on top of the foil. Drizzle over 1 tbsp olive oil and season fish with salt and freshly ground pepper. Cover the roasting tin tightly with foil and leave to smoke on the stove-top over a moderate heat for 15-20 minutes.
3. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add the new potatoes and cook for between 12-15 minutes, depending on size, until tender. Drain, transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle over finely chopped parsley.
4. Make the salad dressing by mixing together 6 tbsp olive oil with 2-3 tbsp of balsamic vinegar and seasoning it with salt and freshly ground pepper. Toss the rocket leaves with the salad dressing, then sprinkle over the grated Parmesan.
5. Serve the hot smoked trout straight from the roasting tin with the new potatoes and the rocket salad.
Rate This Recipe