- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: medium
- oil, for deep-frying
- 6 Pacific oysters, shucked and shells washed
For the dipping sauce:
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, finely sliced
- 2.5cm knob ginger, finely chopped
- 3 lime leaves, finely shredded
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 tbsp coriander, thinly chopped
- 1 tbsp mint, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 200 ml ice cold sparkling water
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
For the batter:
- 4 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 50 ml cold water
1. First make the dipping sauce. Mix together the shallots, lemon grass, ginger, lime leaves, lime juice, coriander, mint, sugar, water, chilli and fish sauce and leave to infuse for 5 to 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, make the batter. Mix the flours and salt together and add enough water to give a batter with the consistency of double cream.
3. Heat the oil in a wok or deep fat fryer until it reaches 190°C.
4. Dip the oysters into the batter and fry for 2 to 3 minutes, taking care that the oysters do not stick together.
5. Return the cooked oysters back to their clean shells to serve, together with the dipping sauce on the side.
Rate This Recipe