- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin, (Japanese cooking wine), or sherry
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 300 g blanched almonds, or other shelled nuts
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
2. In a mixing bowl, mix together olive oil, soy sauce, mirin, cayenne pepper, sesame seeds and caster sugar and mix well.
3. Add the almonds and stir to coat evenly. Pour the mixture onto a baking sheet.
4. Bake, stirring every 5 minutes, for about 20-25 minutes. The liquid will reduce in the oven, eventually becoming a thick, dark, sticky coating which glazes the nuts.
5. Allow the nuts to cool on the baking sheet. Use a metal spatula to scrape the nuts and glaze off the sheet.
6. Break up any large clumps, but leave some in little clusters. Arrange in a bowl and serve, with napkins nearby.
Rate This Recipe