- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 2 hours marinating
- Effort: easy
- 3 boneless chicken thighs, halved
- 125 ml teriyaki sauce, plus a little extra
- ¼ heads broccoli, with stalk
- 325 g sushi rice, washed and soaked
- olive oil, for frying
- 50 g shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 handfuls edamame, podded
- 4 cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, slice and cut into thin strips
- 1-2 small red chillies, sliced, seeds removed
1. Put the chicken thighs into a non-reactive bowl, mix in the teriyaki sauce and leave to marinate for 2 hours.
2. Cut the broccoli head from the stalk. Slice the stalk thinly and set aside. Cut the broccoli head into tiny florets.
3. Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil, drop in the broccoli florets for 1 minute, then drain, refresh under cold water, drain again and set aside.
4. Put the rice into a large, heavy-based saucepan and add enough water to cover the rice and your flat hand above it. Bring the rice and water to the boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the water has been absorbed. Reduce to a simmer and continue to simmer until the water is gone. Cover the pan and allow the rice to finish cooking in its own heat.
5. Remove the chicken from the marinade (discarding any leftover marinade) and grill at a high heat, turning once, until cooked through. Keep warm while you prepare the vegetables.
6. Heat a little olive oil in a heavy-based frying pan and gently fry the broccoli stems, shiitake mushroom, spring onion and edamame beans until just tender.
7. Stir the vegetables into the cooked rice, adding a little teriyaki sauce to moisten.
8. To serve, put the rice and vegetables onto a serving platter, arrange the cooked chicken on top and scatter over the broccoli florets, ginger strips and red chilli slices.
Rate This Recipe