- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the spicy beans
- 500 g extra-fine French beans, trimmed
- 2 tbsp peanut or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 chilli, seeds removed, finely diced
- 2 small onions, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cm ginger, grated
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 110 g carrots, coarsely grated
- 175 ml vegetable stock
- 25 g desiccated coconut
For the herring
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 6 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp clear honey
- 6 herring fillets
- 25 g roasted hazelnuts, chopped
- small bunch coriander, chopped
1. Steam the beans for about 4 minutes until just tender, and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the mustard seeds, cover and cook over a medium heat until the seeds start to pop. Add the chilli, onions, garlic, ginger, turmeric and cardamom. Cook, stirring continuously, for about 3-4 minutes, until the onions start to soften.
3. Add the carrots, stock and coconut and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the beans and warm through. Leave on one side.
4. For the herrings, combine the sesame oil, soy sauce and the honey, and use to brush over the herrings. Heat a griddle over a moderate heat and fry the fillets for a couple of minutes each side, until just cooked - about 3-4 minutes.
5. Stir in the spicy bean mixture, hazelnuts and coriander, and cook for 1-2 minutes to infuse the flavours. Serve with steamed rice.
Rate This Recipe