- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 20 mins marinating
- Effort: medium
For the teriyaki squid
- 6 whole baby squid, (10cm long), cleaned under cold running water
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 3 tbsp mirin, or alternatively use vodka
- 3 tbsp soft brown sugar
For the citrus salad
- 75 g mixed salad leaves
- 6 seedless grapes, sliced in half
- 6 segments pink grapefruit
- ½ yellow peppers, seeds removed, sliced
- ½ red peppers, seeds removed, sliced
- small handful mustard cress
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- ½ tbsp light soy sauce
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 1½ tbsp orange juice
- ½ tsp soft brown sugar
- cayenne pepper or smoked paprika
- white sesame seeds
1. For the teriyaki squid: hold each squid in one hand and firmly pull the head twisting gently to remove the head and contents of the body in one piece. Cut the tentacles off with a sharp knife and put to one side. Discard the head.
2. Slice through one side of the body of each squid from top to bottom and open out.
3. Put the garlic, soy sauce, mirin (or vodka) and the sugar into a large bowl. Add the squid and turn to coat; leave to marinate for 20 minutes.
4. Soak six bamboo skewers in cold water for 20 minutes.
5. For the dressing: put all the ingredients into a bowl and mix well.
6. For the salad: divide all the ingredients equally among two plates.
7. To finish the squid: skewer each squid from the base through to the top and put the tentacles on the top of each skewer. Retain the marinade.
8. Heat a griddle pan on a high heat. Put the squid on the griddle and cook for 1 minute. Brush with the reserved marinade, flip the squid over and cook for another minute, brushing again with the marinade to keep them moist. Cook until the squid has turned opaque, the flesh is slightly firm to the touch and the marinade coating has turned sticky.
9. In a small frying pan, fry the sesame seeds until browned. Dust the squid with cayenne pepper (or smoked paprika) and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
10. Just before serving, drizzle the dressing over the salad and serve immediately with the squid.
Rate This Recipe