- Serves: Makes about 500 ml
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 750 g caster sugar
- 500 ml water
- 50 g red chillies, finely chopped
- 50 g green chillies, finely chopped
- 50 g garlic, finely chopped
- 100 g ginger, finely chopped
- 4 stalks lemongrass, finely chopped
- 100 ml fish sauce
- 100 ml mirin, (Japanese rice vinegar)
- 2 limes, juice only
- 5 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 small bunch of coriander, finely chopped
1. Place the sugar and water into a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5-10 minutes until the mixture becomes a syrup.
2. Add the chillies, garlic, ginger and lemongrass and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat and add the fish sauce, vinegar and lime juice.
4. Leave to cool, then stir in the spring onions and coriander and refrigerate until required.
Rate This Recipe