- Serves: 4, makes 12 x 5cm cakes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the cakes
- 2 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 1/2 lime, grated zest and juice
- 1 cm fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, plus a few sprigs to garnish
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 150 g crab meat
- 150 g mashed potato
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 1 egg, beaten with a little milk
- 100 g breadcrumbs, seasoned with salt and pepper
- sunflower oil, for frying
For the dipping sauce
- 1 tsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1½ tsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 medium red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 4 tbsp water
- Lime slices and coriander
1. To make the cakes, place spring onions, Thai red curry paste, grated zest and juice of ½ lime, ginger, coriander leaves and Thai fish sauce in a food processor and blend to a paste. Remove to a mixing bowl.
2. Add the crab meat and mashed potatoes and mix well. To check for seasoning, fry a mini cake and adjust seasoning to taste. Shape to form 12 cakes. Keep them in the refrigerator until needed.
3. Meanwhile make the dipping sauce by combining all of the ingredients in a bowl.
4. To cook the cakes, first coat them in the seasoned flour. Dip them in the beaten egg and coat in the breadcrumbs. Heat the oil in the frying pan over a high heat, turn down the heat to medium and fry the cakes gently on each side to a pale golden colour and fully cooked through. You will need to cook them in batches, adding a little more oil, if necessary.
5. Serve with the dipping sauce and an oriental salad. Garnish with some coriander and a slice of lime.
Rate This Recipe