- Serves: 1-2
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the broth
- 150 ml chicken stock
- 1 tsp palm sugar, or brown sugar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
For the omelette
- 1 tsp palm sugar
- 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 eggs
- 200 ml vegetable or peanut oil
- 100 g cooked tiger prawns, chopped
- 50 g bean sprouts
- 2 spring onions, chopped on the diagonal
- 1/2 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch coriander, leaves picked
- 6 leaves Asian basil (Thai basil), or regular basil
- 6 chives, snipped to 3cm lengths
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
Tips and Suggestions
Try using crab meat instead of prawns, or to make it vegetarian use mushrooms instead
1. For the broth: combine all ingredients except the sesame oil in a pan. Bring to boil, stir to dissolve the palm sugar. Remove from the heat and add the sesame oil; keep warm.
2. For the omelette: dissolve the palm sugar in fish sauce, add the eggs and whisk well.
3. Heat the vegetable/peanut oil in a wok over a high heat. When the oil begins to smoke pour in the egg mixture it should puff up immediately.
4. Gently shake the wok to ensure the egg hasnt stuck to the bottom. Cook for approximately 2-3 minutes or until the base is golden.
5. Place the prawns, bean sprouts, spring onions, chilli and herbs on one half, flip over remaining half to cover.
6. Remove from the heat and carefully pour off the oil into a heat-proof container.
7. Pour in some of the broth and place the wok back on the heat. Allow to simmer for a minute to heat through the prawns and vegetables.
8. Remove the omelette from the wok in to a shallow bowl, pour over the remaining broth and top with some oyster sauce.
Rate This Recipe