- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 350 g glutinous rice, soaked overnight
- 225 g dried black beans, (optional)soaked overnight and boiled until tender
- 550 ml coconut cream
- 4 tbsp sugar
- pinch of salt
- 4 small bananas
- 8 pieces banana leaves
1. Mix together the coconut cream, sugar and salt in a bowl, stirring until thoroughly blended.
2. Place the drained rice in a non-stick pan on low heat, and very slowly add the coconut cream mixture while stirring with a wooden spoon. Keep stirring over simmering heat until the rice is tender and all of the coconut milk is absorbed, which may take up to one hour. Set aside to cool.
3. Put a portion amount of the cooked rice on a banana leaf and mix in the black beans if using. Top with a banana half then a further layer of rice and beans. Fold the leaf up over the contents and tie securely. Repeat the process making 8 parcels in all.
4. Steam the banana leaf parcels for 15 minutes, cool, unwrap and serve.
Rate This Recipe