- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 800 ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 stalk lemongrass, finely sliced
- 1 medium red chilli, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 125 g tiger prawns, peeled and de-veined
- 80 g baby button mushrooms
- 150 g rice vermicelli noodles
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- 1 tbsp palm sugar
- 1 tsp chopped Pastilla pickled jalapeño chillies, (optional)
- 2 large leaves romaine lettuce, thickly sliced
- 80 g mix of carrot, bean sprouts and cabbage
- small handful coriander, roughly chopped
1. Place the vegetable stock in a saucepan and heat well until steaming.
2. Meanwhile, heat a wok over a high heat and add the groundnut oil. Swirl the wok around a little to distribute the oil and when it is smoking, add the garlic, ginger, lemongrass, chilli and shallot and stir-fry for less than a minute, just to release their aromas.
3. Add the tiger prawns and stir-fry for less than a minute, then add the button mushrooms and stir-fry with the prawns for less than a minute.
4. Slowly add the hot vegetable stock to the wok and immediately add the rice noodles.
5. Stir in the Thai fish sauce, lemon juice, palm sugar and pickled red chilli (if using) and bring to simmering point.
6. Just before serving, add the romaine lettuce, and the carrot, bean sprout and cabbage mix.
7. Ladle the noodle soup into large bowls, garnish with chopped coriander and serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe