- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 50 g butter
- 3 slices of bacon, chopped
- 2 medium onions, hopped
- 3 sticks celery
- 350 ml double cream
- 350 ml chicken stock
- 350 ml milk
- 350 ml water, plus extra for dissolving the cornflour
- 750 g potatoes, eeled and cut into 2cm cubes
- a pinch of thyme
- a pinch of smoked paprika
- 250 g fresh sweetcorn
- 750 g smoked haddock, (ideally finnan haddie), cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 1-2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp dill, chopped
- 1 sheets rolled puff pastry, cut into discs large enough to cover 8 soup bowls
- grated parmesan
- grated cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
2. In a large pan, cook the butter and bacon over moderate heat, stirring, until crisp.
3. Add the onion and celery and cook, stirring, until softened.
4. Add the cream, stock, milk and water and stir well. Bring to a simmering point.
5. Add the potatoes, thyme and paprika. Bring it to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Add in the sweetcorn and simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Add in the smoked haddock. In a small bowl dissolve the cornflour in 2 teaspoons of water and stir into the soup with the Worcestershire sauce.
8. Bring the soup to a boil, stirring, and add in the parsley and dill.
9. Sprinkle the pastry lids with Parmesan and cheddar.
10. Ladle the soup into 8 small soup tureens. Top each bowl with a pastry lid and bake for 10 minutes. Serve at once.
Rate This Recipe