- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 2 hrs to overnight marinating
- Effort: medium
- 100 ml olive oil
- 100 g unsalted butter
- 6 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- small handful of thyme, leaves onlyroughly chopped
- small handful of tarragon, roughly chopped
- small handful of rosemary, roughly chopped
- grated zest and juice of 2 lemons, lemon halves reserved
- 2 (1kg each) chicken
- black pepper
For the stuffing:
- 50 ml olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- chicken giblets, chopped
- 225 g minced fatty pork
- 200 g breadcrumbs
- 2 potatoes, peeled, boiled and mashed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 20 pitted green olives, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp chopped sage
- splash of port
- 150 ml chicken stock
1. Combine the olive oil, butter, garlic, thyme, tarragon, rosemary, lemon zest and juice in a very large bowl.
2. Add the chickens to the bowl and coat with the marinade, pushing under the breast skin as well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
3. Make the stuffing. Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based frying pan. Add in the onion and garlic and fry, stirring, for 5 minutes.
4. Add in the chicken giblets and minced pork and fry until cooked through, stirring often.
5. Meanwhile, toss together the breadcrumbs, mashed potato, beaten egg, olives, parsley, paprika and sage in a bowl.
6. Mix in the fried pork mixture, mixing well. Add in the port and enough chicken stock to moisten the stuffing. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
7. Preheat the oven to 200° C/gas 6.
8. Stuff the marinated chickens (reserving the marinade) with the stuffing and the reserved lemon halves and season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Roll any remaining stuffing in kitchen foil and cook in the oven alongside the chickens, Truss the chickens and brush generously with the marinade.
9. Heat a large frying pan until hot. Add in the stuffed chickens and sear each breast side for 3-5 minutes until golden.
10. Transfer the chickens to a roasting tray. Roast for 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the heat to 170°C/gas 3 and roast the chickens, basting often with their roasting juices and the reserved marinade, until browned and cooked through, around 40 minutes.
11. Remove the chickens from the oven and rest in a warm place before serving.
Rate This Recipe