- Serves: 3
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 200 ml passata
- 1 ready-made pizza base or ready-made pizza dough
- 1 bunch basil
- 100 g rocket
- 4 cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1 egg
- 3 button mushrooms, halved or 2 mushrooms, chopped into pieces
- 6 slices cured meats, such as salami, chorizo or prosciutto
- mixed olive, stones removed
Tips and Suggestions
Weve omitted cheese in this recipe because we like to keep it healthy and so the freshness of the basil/tomato base comes through, but feel free to add it if you wish.
1. Preheat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7 and place a heavy baking sheet or pizza stone in the oven to heat up.
2. Heat one tablespoon of the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and add the onion. Fry for 10-12 minutes, or until the onions have caramelised. Remove from the heat and set aside.
3. In a clean frying pan, heat another tablespoon of olive oil and fry two of the sliced garlic cloves for about 10 seconds, taking care not to burn them. Add the tomato puree and cook for 1-2 minutes, then add the passata. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened. Set aside to cool slightly.
4. Pour the sauce into a food processor and add the basil and remaining garlic cloves. Blend to a rough purée that has the consistency of pesto.
5. Roll the pizza dough out into a large rectangle onto a sheet of non-stick baking parchment, so it can be easily transferred onto the baking sheet. Spread the pizza dough with the tomato sauce base and scatter over the caramelised onions.
6. Top three different portions of the pizza with the separate toppings. On one section arrange the cherry tomatoes, leaving a space in the middle to crack in the egg. On another section, scatter over the mushrooms and pepper, and for the last section arrange over the cured meats and olives.
7. Carefully transfer the pizza onto the heated baking sheet or pizza stone and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the crust is golden-brown and the egg white is set.
8. Remove the pizza from the oven, scatter with rocket and fresh basil leaves and drizzle with olive oil.
Rate This Recipe