- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the sauerkraut
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 450 g sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
- 1 apple
- pinches ground allspice
- fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Russian sauce
- 100 ml mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- 2 tsp capers, chopped
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
For the sandwiches
- 12 slices sweet cureback bacon
- 1-2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 8 slices rye bread
- 12 slices gherkin
- 200 g emmental cheese, grated
- 4 fried eggs, to garnish
1. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 15 minutes, until golden brown.
2. Add the sauerkraut, apple and allspice. Season with salt and a twist of pepper. Cook until the sauerkraut is tender and golden, and all the liquid has evaporated.
3. Mix all the ingredients for the Russian sauce together, cover and chill until ready to use.
4. Griddle the bacon until crisp and set aside.
5. Butter 4 slices of bread and place them, buttered side down, on a foil-lined baking tray. Spread with the Russian sauce.
6. Layer the pickles, bacon and sauerkraut over the bread and top with the cheese.
7. Place the open sandwiches under the grill and cook for about 2 minutes, until the cheese melts. Remove from the grill and leave on one side.
8. Butter the remaining bread slices and spread the remaining Russian sauce on the other side. Place them on top of the melted cheese, buttered side up.
9. Fry the sandwiches in a dry pan over a medium heat, until golden on both sides.
10. Cut the crusts from each of the sandwiches and serve immediately, garnished with a fried egg, a twist of pepper and a sprinkling of chives.
Rate This Recipe