- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: hard
For the scallop and crab mousse:
- 150 g scallops
- 50 g brown crab meat
- 150 g white crab meat
- 1 egg yolk
- 250 ml whipping cream
- 10 g fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- pinch cayenne pepper
- squeeze lemon juice
- softened butter, for greasing
- 2 large courgettes
For the lemongrass and ginger sauce:
- 75 g shallots, chopped
- 25 g fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks lemongrass, chopped
- 1 tsp whole white peppercorns
- 1 tsp whole coriander seeds
- 75 g brown crab meat
- 250 g carcasses crab
- 250 ml fish stock
- 300 g unsalted butter
- 75 g unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch ground white pepper
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- sprigfresh coriander, leaves shredded
1. For the scallop and crab mousse: put the scallops, both crabmeats, egg yolk and cream into a blender. Blend to a very smooth mousse. Put this into a bowl and set over ice.
2. Mix in the ginger, cayenne, a squeeze of lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
3. Warm 6x6cm metal chef's rings and cling film the bottoms tightly, to half way up the rings (warming them enables the cling film to stick). Allow them to cool, then butter inside the rings with softened butter.
4. Cut the courgettes lengthways into ribbons using a mandolin or vegetable peeler. Blanch them in boiling water, then pat them dry on a cloth.
5. Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
6. Line the chef's rings with the courgette ribbons and then fill with the mousse. Put them into a baking tray and pour a kettle of boiling water around them to come half way up the rings. Cook in the oven for 8-10 minutes.
7. For the lemongrass and ginger sauce: heat the butter in a frying pan. Add the shallots, ginger and lemongrass, and cook gently for 5 minutes.
8. Add the peppercorns and coriander seeds and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the brown crabmeat and crab carcasses and cook for 5 minutes.
9. Add the fish stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for 20 minutes, then pass through a fine colander or muslin cloth. Return to the sacupan.
10. Whisk the butter, salt, pepper and lemon juice into the sauce over the heat to give it a glossy sheen. Stir in the coriander at the last minute.
11. Turn out the courgette-wrapped mousses onto serving plates and serve with the lemongrass and ginger sauce.
Rate This Recipe