- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 35 minutes plus chilling
- Effort: medium
- 150 ml strong black coffee, chilled
- 3 tbsp coffee liqueur, such as Tia Maria or Kahlua
- 1/2 packet sponge fingers, such as Savoiardi
- 75 g caster sugar
- 5 tbsp water
- 2 egg yolks
- 250 ml double cream
- 250 g mascarpone
- unsweetened cocoa powder, to dust
1. Mix together the coffee and the coffee liqueur. Place the sponge fingers in a single layer in a shallow dish. Pour over the coffee mixture, turning the fingers a few times to coat, then leave to soak.
2. Put the sugar and water into a small heavy-based saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil, then simmer until softball stage is reached - 115°C on a sugar thermometer, or until you can knead a soft ball between your finger and thumb (dip 1/2 teaspoon of syrup into iced water before kneading).
3. Using an electric whisk, beat the egg yolks for 3-5 minutes until very pale and smooth . Gradually add the sugar syrup, then beat until cold.
4. Mix the cream and mascarpone, then add to the egg and sugar mixture whisking thoroughly.
5. Pour some of the mixture into individual serving bowls. Add a layer of sponge fingers and layer with some more of the mascarpone mixture. Put in the fridge to chill for 2 hours.
6. Dust with cocoa powder just before serving.
Rate This Recipe