- Serves: 6-8
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus at least 3-4 hrs chilling
- Effort: easy
- 4 eggs, separated
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- a few drops of vanilla essence
- 500 g mascarpone
- 150 ml double cream
- 300 ml strong black coffee, freshly brewed (ideally in a mocha)
- 4 tbsp marsala
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 2 packets of sponge fingers, (ideally Savioardi)
- finely grated dark chocolate, for sprinkling
1. Vigorously whisk the yolks in a mixing bowl. Slowly whisk in two and a half tablespoons of caster sugar until pale and frothy. Add 2 drops of vanilla essence.
2. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add the remaining caster sugar and whisk until stiff peaks form.
3. Fold the marscapone into the egg yolk mixture, mixing well. Add the beaten egg whites and fold in gently.
4. Whisk the double cream until just thickened and fold into the marscapone mixture.
5. Pour the coffee into a separate bowl, add the Marsala and brandy, stir and allow to cool.
6. Take a deep dish, about 30 x 20cm and 10cm deep. Spread a 5cm deep layer of the marscapone mixture over the base of the dish.
7. Quickly dip the sponge fingers one by one into the cooled coffee mixture without drenching them in coffee. Layer the dipped sponge fingers over the marscapone mixture until the marscapone is totally covered.
8. Top the sponge finger layer with a 2.5cm deep layer of the marscapone mixture. Top with another layer of coffee-dipped sponge fingers.
9. Finish with a layer of the marscapone mixture. Sprinkle over with finely grated dark chocolate. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 3-4 hours before serving.
Rate This Recipe