- Serves: 8
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus chilling
- Effort: easy
- 3 coffee cups of strong black coffee, (ideally espresso), cooled
- 6 tbsp amaretto (almond liqueur)
- 50 ml full-fat milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 250 g mascarpone
- 250 ml whipping or double cream, whipped
- shaved chocolate
- 1 ciabatta bread, (ideally slightly stale), cut into 1cm thick slices
1. Place the cooled coffee in a bowl and add in 3 tablespoons of the amaretto liqueur together with the milk, mixing well.
2. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale, around 3 minutes.
3. Add in the mascarpone and beat until mixed in.
4. Gently fold in the whipped cream with a metal spoon.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form.
6. Quickly and gently fold in the whisked egg whites and the remaining Amaretto into the cream mixture, trying not to lose volume.
7. Dip each ciabatta slice into the coffee mixture, allowing 2 seconds per side.
8. Place the coffee-dipped bread evenly over the base of a glass serving dish, around 8cm across.
9. Spread some of the cream mixture over the bread, then repeat the layering process two more times.
10. Smooth the surface and sprinkle with flaked chocolate.
11. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.
Rate This Recipe