- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 35 minutes plus 1 hr standing time
- Effort: easy
For the batter
- 225 g flour
- 1 pinches salt
- 3 eggs
- 300 ml milk
- 200 ml water
- 70 ml vegetable oil
- 16 organic chipolata sausages
- 1 stems rosemary, leaves picked
- cracked black peppercorns
For the sauce
- 1 large onion, sliced length ways
- 50 g butter
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 400 ml water
- 1-2 tbsp gravy granules
1. Combine all the ingredients for the Yorkshire pudding and whisk well to form a smooth batter. Leave to rest for 1 hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Pour the vegetable oil into the base of an ovenproof dish at least 6cm deep and large enough to take all the sausages. Heat in the oven until just smoking.
3. When very hot, remove from the oven and carefully place the sausages into the tray. Sprinkle with rosemary and freshly ground pepper.
4. Pour over the batter to two thirds the depth of the sausages (you may not need to use all the batter). Transfer to the oven and cook for about 25 minutes, until risen and golden.
5. To make the sauce, heat the butter in a saucepan and cook the onion for 10-15 minutes or so over a gentle heat, until soft and golden.
6. Stir in the water and garlic, and season with salt and pepper.
7. Mix the gravy powder into a paste with a little water and add to the onion mixture. Simmer for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth. Serve with the toad in the hole.
Rate This Recipe