- Serves: makes 30
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: easy
- 200 g plain flour
- 125 g porridge oats
- 150 g lightlight muscovado sugar
- 0.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 pinches salt
- 150 g unsalted butter, diced
- 150 ml milk
- 200 g toffees
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas 4 and butter a 23x33cm Swiss roll tin.
2. Place the flour, oats, sugar and bicarbonate of soda in a food processor with the salt.
3. Process briefly, then add the butter and process briefly again until the mixture starts to stick together. Alternatively, rub the butter into the dry ingredients by hand.
4. Press about three-quarters of this mixture into the prepared tin, spreading it out with your hands to form an even base.
5. Place the milk and toffees together in a pan and heat over a low heat, stirring until smooth (about 10 minutes), or in a microwave on Medium, stirring occasionally until melted.
6. Pour this slowly over the base then sprinkle the remaining oat mixture over the top, rather like a crumble topping. Bake for 20 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
7. Cut around the edges to loosen then leave in the tin on a wire rack to cool completely before cutting into 30 small squares
Rate This Recipe