- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 30 mins marinating
- Effort: easy
For the marinated tofu
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 250 g fresh tofu
For the toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp sesame oil
For the salad
- 8 Chinese cabbage
- small bunch mint, leaves stripped
- 1 x 400 g tin palm hearts, drained and sliced diagonally
- 2.5 cm ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks
1. Combine the red chilli, garlic clove, sugar, lime juice and light soy sauce. Place the tofu in a shallow dish and pour this chilli sauce over it. Leave to marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
2. Heat a dry frying pan over a moderate heat and toast the sesame seeds until golden and popping. Transfer to a small bowl and cool.
3. Drain the remaining sauce from the tofu and mix with sesame oil, beating well.
4. Cut the Chinese leaves in half horizontally. Shred the bottom halves, leaving the tops intact.
5. To assemble the salad, arrange two Chinese leaf tops on each plate. Mix together the shredded leaves, mint, palm hearts and ginger and divide among the plates.
6. Top with the marinated tofu and toasted sesame seeds. Spoon the remaining dressing over each salad and serve straight away.
Rate This Recipe