- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 8 rashers smoked bacon, cut into finger sized pieces
- 150 g salted butter
- 1 onions, peeled and finely sliced
- 4 tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 pinches black pepper
- 120 g cheddar cheese, grated
1. Turn the grill to its highest setting.
2. Heat a frying pan with a diameter of about 24cm, add 50g of the butter and fry the bacon for a minute, and then add the onion. Cook until it begins to caramelise a little.
3. Add the tomatoes and then stir the mixture over a moderate heat for 2-3 minutes, making sure it doesn't stick to the pan.
4. Beat the egg yolks in a large bowl, using a fork and then add the bacon mixture.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites and a pinch of salt until they form stiff peaks. Grind a teaspoon of pepper into the bacon mix, and then fold the whites into the mixture. Don't worry if there are lumps of egg white in it.
6. Return the pan to the heat, and when it begins to smoke add the remaining butter. Once the butter has melted, pour in the omelette mixture, and turn the heat down to moderate. Put a lid on the pan and cook for 2 minutes, check to make sure it isn't burning on the bottom - if it is, reduce the heat.
7. Sprinkle the cheese on top, put the lid back for a further minute or two.
8. Remove the lid and place the pan under the grill until the cheese melts. Serve at once on buttered white toast.
Rate This Recipe