- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- olive oil, for frying
- 3 cloves garlic, cut into slivers
- 2 tsp chopped sage leaves
- 6 plum tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 4 slices stale ciabatta bread, cut into chunks
- 800 ml vegetable or chicken stock
- basil, torn
- freshly grated parmesan
- extra virgin olive oil
1. In a large saucepan, heat a very generous layer of olive oil over a medium heat. Add the garlic followed by the sage and and cook for 1-2 minutes until they give off a lovely smell and the garlic is golden.
2. Stir in the fresh tomatoes, then the tinned tomatoes and the bread. Stir well and season to taste.
3. Pour in the stock, heat through and simmer for 45 minutes or until reduced.
4. Taste for seasoning at the end. Serve at room temperature with the basil, parmesan and plenty of extra virgin olive oil.
Rate This Recipe