- Serves: makes 1 litre
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 500 g very ripe tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 red chillies
- 2 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 30 ml fish sauce
- 300 g golden caster sugar
- 100 ml red wine vinegar
1. Dice half the quantity of tomatoes.
2. Blend the whole tomatoes in a food processor along with the garlic, chillies, ginger and fish sauce until the mixture reaches a pureé consistency.
2. Pour the mixture into a deep heavy-based pan together with the sugar and vinegar. Bring to the boil and slowly stir.
3. Once the mixture has reached boiling point, reduce to a simmer and add the remaining diced tomatoes.
4. Skim off any scum that forms with a metal spoon and cook for 30 -40 minutes, stirring from time to time to prevent sticking.
5. Pour the mixture into a warmed sterilised jar. Seal while still warm and label the jars when cold. Alternatively pour on a glass serving dish and allow to cool before serving.
Rate This Recipe