- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 8-10 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 3 clove garlic, very thinly sliced
- pinch of sugar
- small bunch oregano, finely chopped
- 500 g puff pastry
- 1 egg
- 100 ml milk
- 250 g gorgonzola cheese
- bunch of leaves basil
- freshly ground black pepper
1. Set the oven to 150°C/gas 2 and drizzle a little olive oil over a baking sheet.
2. Place the tomato slices on the oven tray and place a slice of garlic on each slice of tomato. Sprinkle with sugar, salt and chopped oregano.
3. Place in the oven and cook for 30 minutes, and then turn the oven setting down to 110°C/gas ¼ and cook for a further 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and place to one side.
4. Turn the oven setting up to 200°C/gas 6. Roll out the puff pastry to form a large square about 35x35 cm, with a thickness of about 3mm. Drizzle the baking tray with a little olive oil and a pinch of salt and place the pastry on to the tray.
5. Beat the egg and milk together to form an egg wash.
6. Using a fork, spike the whole surface of the pastry and brush with the egg wash.
7. Cook the pastry for 5 minutes.
8. Using a spatula, lay the tomatoes out flat along the pastry in rows. Crumble a lump of Gorgonzola over each slice of tomato, and on the top of this place a basil leaf.
9. Drizzle with the remaining olive oil, sprinkle generously with black pepper and return to the oven for a further 10 minutes. Remove, slice into oblongs and serve.
Rate This Recipe