- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 2 tsp shop-bought mixed pickling spices
- 450 ml white malt vinegar
- 2.25 kg ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 225 g red onions, finely chopped
- 450 g cooking apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 225 g caster sugar
- salt, and freshly ground pepper
1. Place the pickling spices into a non-reactive saucepan and add in the vinegar. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Strain and set the spiced vinegar aside.
2. Put the tomatoes, onions and apples into a large saucepan and cook gently without any other liquid until the mixture forms a thick puree.
3. Rub the tomato mixture through a nylon sieve into a clean, non-reactive saucepan and add in the sugar and spiced vinegar.
4. Stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved, then cook gently until nice and thick.
5. Pour into sterilised bottles or jars while hot, cover with a waxed disc, cool, then cover and store until required.
Rate This Recipe