- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 1.1666666666666667 hours 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
Tomato lentil soup:
- 50 ml olive oil
- 100 g lentils
- 4 carrots, finely chopped
- stick celery
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 * 400g canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 bunches leaves basil
- 1.2 litres vegetable stock
- black pepper
- 1 small bunch finely chopped parsley
- 140 g unbleached plain flour
- 01/4 tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 50 g caster sugar
- 140 g yellow cornmeal, or polenta
- 2 eggs
- 230 ml milk
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Over a very low heat gently fry the lentils, carrot, celery, garlic and onion for 30 minutes, stirring now and then.
2. Add the tinned tomatoes, sugar and basil. Cook briskly until reduced by two-thirds.
3. Add the stock and season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes. Stir in chopped parsley.
4. While the soup is simmering make the corn bread. Preheat the oven to 190º/gas 5. Grease a 20 cm cake tin.
5. In a large mixing bowl mix together the plain flour, salt, baking powder, sugar and cornmeal. Add the eggs, milk and melted butter and mix together lightly and quickly to make a smooth mixture.
6. Transfer the mixture into the cake tin. Bake for 25 minutes until the corn bread is golden and springy but firm to the touch.
7. Serve the tomato lentil soup together with the corn bread.
Rate This Recipe