- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes plus 40 minutes for the Basic Tomato Sauce
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 300 g live mussels, cleaned and de-bearded
- 1/2 banana shallots, finely chopped
- 1/2 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 80 ml white wine
- 500 ml basic tomato sauce
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- 2 tbsp chopped oregano
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- freshly ground salt and black pepper
1. Place a heavy-bottomed pan on a high heat and add the mussels, shallot, garlic, chilli and white wine. Place a lid on top and cook for 2-3 minutes until the mussel shells have opened.
2. Remove the mussels from the pan and continue cooking the remaining liquor until reduced by two-thirds.
3. Turn down the heat, stir in the tomato sauce and simmer gently for five minutes.
4. Return the mussels to the sauce, add a squeeze of lemon juice and sprinkle over the oregano and parsley.
5. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary and serve the sauce with spaghetti or your choice of pasta.
Rate This Recipe