- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 kg topside of beef, cut into steaks of 100-120g
- 30 g butter
- 30 g plain flour
- 2-3 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 small cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- pinches dried chillies
- 4 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- mashed potato, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 140C/gas 4.
2. Put about a quarter of the onions in a fairly shallow earthenware casserole (with a lid). Top with 2-3 of the steaks and season with salt and pepper.
3. Cover with another layer of onions, another of meat and so on, finishing with a layer of onions.
4. Work the butter and flour together using your fingers in a small bowl. Dot the butter and flour mixture on top of the onions and around the sides of the casserole.
5. Cut out a circle of greaseproof paper in the size of the casserole, cover the onions and meat with the paper and then cover with a lid. Cook in the preheated oven for about 2 hours.
6. Using a pestle and mortar, grind together the parsley, garlic, olive oil, chilli, anchovy and vinegar to make a paste. Sprinkle the paste over the casserole. Replace the paper and the lid and cook for another hour.
7. Serve hot with mashed potatoes.
Rate This Recipe