- Serves: 8
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 200 g dark chocolate
- 250 g ground almonds
- 4 eggs, separated
- 175 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 200 g butter, melted and cooled until tepid
- icing sugar
- crème fraîche, Greek yogurt or beaten marscapone, to serve
For the apricots in moscatel:
- 500 g dried apricots
- 1 vanilla pod
- 100 ml dessert wine, such as moscatel
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas 4.
2. Process the chocolate until finely chopped, but still retaining a little texture. If you don't have a processor, chop the chocolate finely with a large knife.
3. Beat the egg yolks with the sugar and vanilla flavouring in a mixing bowl until the mixture is pale and thick.
4. Fold in the chocolate and almonds and the butter.
5. Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks and fold into the chocolate mixture.
6. Spoon into a greased and lined 24cm cake tin, and bake for about 50-60 minutes, until just firm to the touch.
5. Leave to cool in the mould, then turn out.
6. Meanwhile, place the dried apricots, vanilla pod and wine in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
7. Dust the surface with icing sugar before serving. Serve the torta with the dried apricots and crème fraiche, Greek yogurt or beaten marscapone.
Rate This Recipe