- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the pastry cream
- 500 ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- 90 g caster sugar
- 100 g cornflour
- 4 egg yolks
- 150 ml double cream
For the pastry
- 300 g plain flour
- 300 g unsalted butter
- 70 ml ice cold water
For the marinated peaches
- 4 peaches, peeled, stone removed, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1/2 vanilla pod, seeds only
- 75 ml Recioto di Soave wine, or similar sweet wine
- icing sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. For the pastry cream: bring the milk almost to the boil with the vanilla pod.
3. Beat the egg yolks until pale in colour. Whisk the sugar together with the egg yolks until pale and creamy. Add the cornflour, then slowly pour the milk and vanilla mixture into the bowl and whisk well to combine.
4. Pour the mixture back into the pan and bring back to the boil. Take off the heat, then pour through a fine sieve and leave to cool.
5. For the pastry: in a food processor, blend the flour and butter together, slowly adding the water a little bit at a time until the mixture forms a sticky dough. Form the dough into a square shape, cover with cling film and chill in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
6. Take the dough out, cut into square 1/2cm thick, fold ends together. Do this 2 times and place back in the fridge to rest.
7. Roll out the dough on a floured surface, then place on a baking sheet and prick all over with a fork. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown. Take out and cool on a rack.
8. For the marinated peaches: in a bowl, mix together the caster sugar, vanilla seeds and sweet wine. Add the sliced peaches and leave to marinate for ten minutes.
9. Whisk the double cream to soft peaks, then add to the pastry cream. Spread the mixture out onto the cooled puff pastry.
10. Layer the marinated peaches on top of the cream. When finished, drizzle any excess juice on top and sprinkle over the icing sugar and serve.
Rate This Recipe