- Serves: 4-6 as a tapa or side
- Cook Time: 40 minutes plus 5 minutes resting
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 8 extra large eggs
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 600 g waxy potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
1. Heat the oil in a large cast-iron or nonstick frying pan over medium-high until very hot but not smoking.
2. Add the potatoes and onion, season with salt and pepper, reduce the heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally and adjusting the heat if necessary so that the vegetables do not brown until the potatoes are tender when pierced with the tip of a paring knife (15-20 minutes).
3. Beat the eggs with salt and pepper in a large bowl.
4. Combine the potatoes with the eggs in the bowl; add to the skillet, spreading the potatoes evenly in the pan, and cook for about 1 minute, just to set the bottom of the egg mixture.
5. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 20 minutes, or until quite set.
6. Carefully flip the tortilla over (invert it onto a plate if you like, then slide it back into the pan, bottom side up) and cook for 5 minutes longer, until set.
7. Flip out onto a clean plate and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Rate This Recipe