- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 3 hours 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 kg beef brisket
- vegetable oil, for frying
For the marinade
- 6 chipotle chillies
- 1 cloves garlic, chopped
- 125 ml orange juice
- 125 ml lime juice, from around 2.5 limes
- 400 g canned tomatoes, drained
- 2 tbsp dried wild oregano
- ½ ground cumin
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
For the hot chilli sauce
- 6 habanero chilli, or 8-10 very hot red chillies, seeds removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 400 g canned tomatoes
- 125 ml white wine vinegar
For the coriander salsa
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped coriander leaves
- 10 spring onions, thinly sliced at an angle
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 lime, juice only
- stale flour tortillas
- soured cream
1. Gently score the brisket on both sides and leave to one side and then transfer to a large shallow roasting dish.
2. Blend the marinade ingredients in a food processor with 2 teaspoons of salt and 1/2 a teaspoon of pepper until smooth-ish. Add the marinade to the beef, turning to coat. Cover with foil and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
3. Preheat the oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3.
4. To cook the brisket place still covered into the oven and cook for three hours until very tender.
5. Once cooked shred the brisket and fry in a frying pan with a little oil adding the cooking liquor back to the meat to keep it moist.
6. To make the hot chilli sauce: combine all the sauce ingredients with 1 tablespoon of salt in a pan. Bring to the boil over a medium high heat. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thick. Cool slightly, then blend until smooth using a stick blender.
7. Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160/ gas 4.
7. For the coriander salsa: combine the coriander, spring onions and green pepper in a bowl. Pour over the lime juice and season with freshly ground black pepper.
8. To serve: place the tortillas on a bakign tray and toast in the oven until crisp, break them into large mouth size pieces and top with the refried beef brisket, hot sauce, soured cream and coriander salsa.
Rate This Recipe