- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus chilling
- Effort: medium
For the pastry
- 75 g cold butter, cubed then chilled in the freezer
- 250 g plain flour, chilled in the fridge
- 100 g icing sugar, chilled in the fridge then sifted
- 1 egg
For the filling
- 4 eggs
- 680 g golden syrup
- 100 g pecans
For the crumble topping
- 25 g cold butter, cubed
- 50 g plain flour
- 25 g demerara sugar
- 1 tsp rock salt
Tips and Suggestions
To lift the pastry into the tin, roll it around the rolling pin then lift and unroll over the tin. Hold it high enough that the pin doesn't touch the tin.
1. For the pastry: Use an electric stand mixer to rub the butter into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs, then stir in the sugar, a pinch of salt and the egg - if you don't have a mixer, you can do this by hand. Gently work it until a ball forms. Wrap it in cling film and chill for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. On a floured surface, roll out the pastry and line a 20cm cake tin with it. Cover the tin in cling film, fill the cling film with flour or baking beans and blind bake for 15 minutes until golden brown. Remove the cling film and flour and leave to cool. Turn the oven down to 160C/140C fan/gas 3.
3. For the filling: whisk together the eggs and syrup, pour onto the pastry and arrange the pecans on the top, bake for 40 minutes then tap the middle to see if it is set enough to wobble. It may need to 10-20 minutes more but watch it to make sure it doesn't burn.
4. For the crumble topping: rub the butter into the flour and sugar until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Spread the crumbs out onto a baking tray, sprinkle with a teaspoon of rock salt and bake for about 10 minutes.
5. Sprinkle the baked crumbs over the top of the tart and serve.
Rate This Recipe