- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 5 mins chilling
- Effort: easy
- 2 tbsp golden syrup, plus extra for serving
- 115 g plain flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 115 g brown sugar
- 75 g margarine
- 25 g unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp brandy
- custard or clotted cream, for serving
1. Generously butter a 900ml pudding basin. Place the buttered pudding basin into the fridge for 5 minutes to firm up the butter.
2. Once cooled, remove from fridge and add the golden syrup to the base of the basin.
3. In a large mixing bowl, place the flour, baking powder, eggs, brown sugar, margarine, unsalted butter and brandy and mix together thoroughly.
4. Spoon the flour mixture into the basin, over the golden syrup.
5. Take a large piece of tin foil, fold it in half and grease one side thoroughly.
6. Cover the pudding with the greased tin foil, pleating the foil a few times to allow room for the pudding's expansion.
7. Fasten the foil to the rim of the pudding basin with string.
8. Place the covered pudding basin in a large steamer.
9. Steam over a medium heat for 1 hour 30 minutes. Make sure that the steamer does not boil dry, topping up with boiling water as needed.
10. Once the pudding is risen and cooked, turn it out from the pudding basin. Serve with golden syrup and clotted cream or custard.
Rate This Recipe