- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 30 mins resting for pastry
- Effort: medium
- 450 g plain flour
- 150 g icing sugar
- pinch of salt
- 225 g unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
- 1 large egg
For the treacle filling
- 8 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 lemon, rated zest and juice
- 200 g breadcrumbs
1. Sift the flour, icing sugar and pinch of salt into a large mixing bowl, and mix together.
2. Add the softened butter, and using fingertips rub it into the flour until you have a breadcrumb consistency.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg and orange zest together with 1 tablespoon of water. Add this to the flour mixture and stir. Work the mixture together until it forms a dough. Wrap the dough in cling film and place in the fridge to rest for at least 30 minutes.
4. Set the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Lightly grease a 20cm tart tin. Remove pastry from fridge, lightly flour a work surface and roll the pastry out to fill the base and sides of the tin. Prick the base with a fork. Bake in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove and leave to cool.
5. In a saucepan gently heat the golden syrup. Stir in the lemon juice, lemon zest and breadcrumbs and remove from the heat.
6. Spoon the filling into the cooled tart shell and place back in the oven for a further 15 minutes. Remove and leave to cool.
7. Serve with cream, clotted cream, ice cream or crème fraiche.
Rate This Recipe