- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus chilling
- Effort: easy
For the shortcrust pastry
- 225 g plain flour
- 110 g chilled butter, diced
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1-2 tbsp iced water
For the filling
- 2 tbsp black treacle
- 175 g golden syrup
- 75 g ground almonds
- 1 large orange, finely grated zest and juice
- 1/2-1 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5.
2. To make the pastry; put the flour into a mixing bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
3. Add the egg yolk and 1 tablespoon water until the mixture forms a dough. Add more water if the mixture is too dry.
4. Turn the pastry onto a floured surface and knead lightly for 2 minutes only.
5. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for at least 30 minutes before using.
6. Roll out two-thirds of the pastry and line a 23cm loose-bottomed flan tin about 3cm deep.
7. To make the filling; combine all the ingredients for the filling, mixing well.
8. Spoon the filling into the dough case, spreading it out evenly.
9. Roll out the remaining pastry dough and cut out strips about 5mm wide.
10. Twist the strips with your fingers and lay the strips on top of the tart in a lattice pattern.
11. Bake for 20-30 minutes until the pastry is golden.
12. Serve the tart warm or cold with cream.
Rate This Recipe