- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 15 minutes cooling
- Effort: easy
- 500 ml golden syrup
- 1 lemon, finely grated zest and juice
- 150 g brioche, or croissant crumbs
- 250 ml double cream
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1 Bramley apple, peeled, cored and grated
- 1 pinch freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 x 30 cm blind-baked pastry tart cases
- clotted cream, or ice cream, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 170C/150C fan/gas 3.
2. Heat the syrup, lemon zest and lemon juice together in a medium non-reactive saucepan. Stir in the crumbs and the cream, then remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
3. When the mixture has cooled completely, add the beaten eggs and the grated apple along with a pinch of nutmeg.
4. Pour the mixture into the pastry tart shell and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the tart is set. Remove from the oven, then immediately sprinkle over a bit more nutmeg. Set aside to cool slightly.
5. Serve the tart warm or cooled with clotted cream or ice cream.
Rate This Recipe