- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 6 egg whites, at room temperature
- pinch of salt
- 375 g caster sugar
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 4 tbsp unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 600 ml double cream
- 4 tbsp white rum
For the topping:
- 1 papaya, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 small mango, peeled and chopped
- 1 baby pineapples, peeled and chopped
- 2 passion fruit, halved
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas 1.
2. First make the meringue. Place the egg whites in a large clean bowl with a pinch of salt and whisk.
3. Sprinkle in the sugar a tablespoon at a time, whisking well. Once all the sugar has been incorporated, whisk in the corn flour, the vinegar and the coconut until you have a very stiff and glossy mixture.
4. Line two baking sheets with baking parchment. Spread the meringue out into two 20cm rounds and smooth the top.
5. Place in the oven for 5 minutes then turn the heat down to 130ºC/gas 1 and cook for about an hour, until they are lightly toasted and crisp on the outside but marshmallowy in the centre. Allow them to cool.
6. Whip the cream until it holds its shape then whisk in the rum.
7. Assemble the pavlova by placing one meringue on a serving platter. Top with half the cream and half the fruit, except the passion fruit.
8. Place the other meringue on top, then finish with another layer of cream, and remaining fruit, ending with the passion fruit pulp dribbled over the top. Serve.
Rate This Recipe