- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 6 x 60 g smoked trout fillets
- 1 leek, sliced into long strips
- 6 large leaves of romaine lettuce
For the pickle
- 30 g dill, chopped
- 1 tsp crushed cumin seeds
- 4 tbsp Japanese rice vinegar
- 25 g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
Tips and Suggestions
Go easy on the salt. Adults should aim to have no more than 6g of salt a day and children should have less. For more information on healthy eating see eatwell.gov.uk.
1. In a colander set over a bowl, layer the cucumber slices, scattering over the sea salt as you go. Leave for 30 minutes then rinse well under cold running water. Pat dry with kitchen paper.
2. For the pickle: in a small bowl, mix together the pickle ingredients. Place half the trout fillets in a shallow dish and arrange half the cucumber slices on top. Spoon half the pickle over the cucumber slices and position the remaining trout fillets on top. Layer the remaining cucumber on top and spoon over the rest of the dill mixture.
3. Blanch the leek strips in boiling water for 30 seconds, then cool under cold running water.
4. Lift the trout and cucumber out of the marinade and wrap each portion in a lettuce leaf, securing the bundles with a strip of leek.
Rate This Recipe