- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 10 mins chilling
- Effort: medium
- 4 even-sized flat field or portobello mushrooms, for stuffing
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 30 ml truffle oil
- black pepper
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced
- 150 g field or portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 250 g fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, chopped
- 120 ml madeira, sherry or vermouth
- 2 tsp thyme, leaves only
- a good grinding of nutmeg
- 55 g parmesan, grated
- a generous handful of flat leaf parsley
For the Stilton and chestnut feuillette
- 375 g puff pastry, rolled to 5mm thickness, chilled
- 75 g very mature stilton, crumbled
- 75 g peeled, cooked chestnuts, coarsely chopped
- strands of orange zest from 1 small oranges
- 2 tbsp semolina
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp milk
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
2. Cut the stems off 4 even-sized field mushrooms. Brush the caps generously with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and lay gill-side up on a baking sheet. Drizzle the gills of each mushroom with 1 teaspoon of truffle oil, and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
3. Heat the remaining olive oil in a frying pan. Add the garlic and fry gently for 2 minutes, until fragrant.
4. Add the chopped field and shiitake mushrooms. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Fry over a medium heat, stirring often, until the mushrooms collapse.
5. Pour in the Madeira and add the thyme and nutmeg. Increase the heat and cook briskly until the juices have mostly evaporated.
6. Allow to cool briefly, then puree the fried mushroom mixture in a food processor with the grated Parmesan, parsley and remaining truffle oil.
7. Spoon the mixture into the mushroom caps. Bake for 20-30 minutes until lightly golden. Remove and keep warm.
8. Meanwhile, make the Stilton and chestnut feuillette. Cut the puff pastry into 8 even-sized squares. Using a rolling pin, slightly flatten 4 of the puff pastry squares.
9. Divide the Stilton and chestnuts evenly over the 4 unflattened pastry squares, leaving a border. Sprinkle over a few strands of orange zest.
10. Place a flattened pastry square over each of the Stilton-topped squares and press the edges together to seal. Trim the edges slightly with a knife.
11. Sprinkle the semolina over a baking sheet. Place the puff pastry parcels on the baking sheet. Chill for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, beat the egg yolk and milk together.
12. Remove the tray from the fridge. Make 5-6 diagonal slits in the top of each parcel. Brush with the egg mixture.
13. Once the stuffed mushrooms have cooked, increase the oven temperature to 220°C/gas 7.
14. Bake the pastry parcels for 10-15 minutes until golden.
15. Serve the stuffed mushrooms and the Stilton and chestnut feuillete straight away.
Rate This Recipe