- Serves: Makes 1 loaf
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 2 hrs rising
- Effort: easy
- 500 g strong bread flour
- 90 g sugar
- 90 g butter
- 2 eggs
- 15 g salt
- 30 g dried yeast
- 180 ml water
- 180 ml milk
- grated zest of 2 oranges
- 1 pinch of ground mahleb
- 1 pinch of ground mastic
- 1 pinch of ground cinnamon
- 100 g sultanas
- eggs, beaten for egg wash
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, dyed red
1. In a mixing bowl place the flour, sugar, butter, eggs, salt, yeast, water, milk, orange zest, mahleb, mastic and cinnamon. Mix together well and form into a dough.
2. Knead for four minutes on a lightly flowered surface.
3. Return dough to bowl and leave to rise for 1 hour
4. Add the sultanas to the dough and divide dough into 3 equal parts.
5. Form the three dough portions into three 'strands' and plait together to form a 3 strand plait-shaped loaf.
6. Brush with beaten egg, place on a lined baking sheet and set aside to rise for 1 hour.
7. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
8. Place the red-dyed eggs evenly down the centre of the plait, pressing their bases into the dough.
9. Bake the loaf for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
Rate This Recipe