- Serves: 6
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 250 g caster sugar
- 5 eggs
- 250 g ground almonds
- 1 tbsp orange flower water, (or substitute rose water)
- 375 g filo pastry, (defrosted in frozen)
- 100 g unsalted butter, melted
- 2-3 tbsp clear honey
- 50 g pistachio nuts
- 2 tbsp clear honey
- ice cream or sorbet
1. Set the oven to 180°C/gas 5. Lightly grease a 20cm pastry ring and sit it on to a lightly greased baking sheet.
2. Beat the butter and caster sugar together in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and beat again until smooth.
3. Stir in the ground almonds and orange flower water.
4. Line the pastry ring with several layers of filo pastry, brushing in between each layer with melted butter.
5. Fill the pastry case with the almond mixture.
6. Fold the pastry edges over and brush once again with some melted butter. Then build a top layer using several more sheets of pastry, scrunching it to give an attractive uneven effect. Brush with more butter.
7. Drizzle the top of the croustade with honey and sprinkle with pistachios. Bake for 1 hour, until the pastry is golden and crisp and the filling is cooked. Remove the croustade from the oven, transfer it to a serving plate and pull off the pastry ring.
8. Drizzle with honey and serve immediately with ice cream or sorbet.
Rate This Recipe