- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the turkey meatloaf:
- butter, for greasing
- 450 g minced turkey
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 slices white bread, whizzed in a food processor
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp tobasco sauce
- 5 tbsp tomato ketchup
For the spicy bean stew:
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced in to half moons
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and finely sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and finely sliced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 x 400g canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g canned cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1. For the turkey meatloaf: Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas mark 6 and grease a 900g loaf tin.
2. In a large bowl, use a spoon to mix together the turkey, garlic, onion, celery, green pepper, breadcrumbs, egg, tabasco sauce, 1 tablespoon of the ketchup and a pinch of sea salt and ground black pepper.
3. Press the mixture into the loaf tin and spread the remaining tomato ketchup over the top. Place in the oven to cook for 4045 minutes. The meat will come away slightly from the sides of the tin and the ketchup will lightly char.
4. For the spicy bean stew:While the meatloaf is cooking, place a large frying pan over a high heat, add the oil and fry the onion and peppers quickly for 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to mediumlow and continue to cook until the contents of the pan have become soft. Stir through the cumin, oregano and sugar and cook for a further 5 minutes.
5. Stir through the tomatoes, season with sea salt and ground black pepper and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir through the beans and cook for a further 35 minutes. Serve the stew on deep plates with slices of meatloaf in the middle.
Love this dish? Why not have a retro dessert too?
Rate This Recipe