- Serves: 10
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus freezing
- Effort: medium
- 10 oranges
- 10 pink grapefruit
- 700 ml water
- 500 g sugar
- 5 cloves, plus extra to serve
- 2 tbsp clarified butter, (ghee)
- 2 tbsp clear honey
- 4 sheets of warka, (wafer-thin North African pancakes) or filo pastry
For the pistachio ice cream:
- 6 egg yolks
- 120 g caster sugar
- 500 ml full-fat milk
- 30 g pistachio paste
- 30 g shelled pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
1. First make the pistachio ice-cream. In a large bowl whisk the yolks with 60g of caster sugar until thick and creamy.
2. Bring the milk and remaining caster sugar to the boil. Remove from the heat and mix in the pistachio paste, stirring until dissolved. Pour the hot milk into the whisked yolks and stir well.
3. Return the pistachio mixture to the pan and cook over a very low heat stirring constantly with a spatula until the mixture thickens enough to coat the spatula.
4. Cool the pistachio custard, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Strain the mixture into an ice cream maker and churn until frozen, following manufacturer's instructions. Mix in the chopped pistachios and freeze until required.
5. Pare the zest from four oranges. Make a clove syrup by bringing to the boil the water, sugar, cloves and freshly pared orange zest in a pan, boiling for 1 minute, covering and leaving to cool.
6. Pare the zest from 4 more oranges using a vegetable peeler and taking care not to cut off any of the white pith. Cut the zest into thin julienne strips.
7. Place the julienne orange strips in a small saucepan. Cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Drain and repeat the process twice.
8. Simmer the blanched zest in a little of the clove syrup for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
9. Preheat the oven to 170ºC/Gas 3. In a small pan, gently heat the butter and honey together until the butter has melted.
10. Brush each sheet of warka or filo pastry with the butter mixture. Place on baking sheets and bake until crisp, around 6-7 minutes. Set aside to cool.
11. Peel all the oranges and grapefruits and cut into segments. Divide the orange and grapefruit segments among 10 soup plates. Sprinkle with the cooled, syrup-cooked zest. Strain the remaining syrup over the top.
12. Scoop a portion of pistachio ice cream into the centre of each plate. Break the baked pastry sheets into shards and stick into the ice cream. Put some cloves into a pepper mill and grind a little over the top of the orange and grapefruit segments. Serve.
Rate This Recipe