- Serves: 10-12
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the cake:
- butter, for greasing
- 350 g self-raising flour
- 5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 300 g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 300 ml sunflower oil
- 300 ml milk
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
For the frosting:
- 400 g white chocolate
- 220 g butter, at room temperature
- 450 g cream cheese
- 440 g icing sugar
Tips and Suggestions
If you choose not to cover the cake completely, any leftover frosting can be kept in the fridge for 2 weeks, covered directly with cling film, or it can be frozen for up to 6 months.
1. For the cake: Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas mark 4. Grease two 23cm round cake tins with removable bases and line with parchment paper.
2. Sift the flour, cocoa and bicarbonate of soda into the bowl of a standalone mixer, or use a large bowl and an electric hand mixer. Add the sugar and mix well.
3. Place the rest of the ingredients into a measuring jug. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the contents of the jug. Beat together with the mixer until you have a smooth mixture.
4. Spoon the cake batter into the lined tins and bake for 4550 minutes, or until risen and firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and leave to cool before transferring to a wire rack until completely cool.
5. For the frosting: Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl placed over a saucepan filled with a little water boiling over a low heat. Remove from the heat to cool for about 10 minutes.
6. Place the butter and cream cheese in a separate bowl and beat until fluffy and combined. Mix through the melted white chocolate, then gradually sift and beat in the icing sugar until you have a smooth, spreadable mixture.
7. Slice both cake layers in half horizontally and place one on a cake stand. Spread over a little of the frosting, then repeat with all the layers until the cake is assembled. If you want, you can spread frosting on the outside of the cake too this will use the full quantity of frosting.
Love chocolate? Check out lots more of our brilliant chocolate recipes .
Rate This Recipe